620.10 (C) (4) Transfer or Possession of Material Object
The U.S. Copyright Office will not accept a transfer statement that merely refers to the transfer, ownership, or possession of a material object in which the work has been fixed. Ownership or possession of a copy or phonorecord does not convey any rights in the copyright, nor does the transfer of ownership of the copyright convey property rights in any material object in which the work has been fixed (absent an agreement to that effect). 17 U.S.C. § 202.
• I bought this painting.
• Mary Monks sent me this video.
• I found this diary in the attic.
• I discovered these papers in a warehouse.
• I bought this sculpture at an auction.
• The author sent me these love letters when we were in high school.
• The author asked me to keep these pictures for him.