2205.1 (A) Year of Publication
As a general rule, the notice on visually perceptible copies and on phonorecords of sound recordings must include the year of first publication. The notice on copies of a compilation or derivative work incorporating previously published material only requires the year of first publication for the compilation or derivative work. 17 U.S.C. §§ 401 (B) (2), 402 (B) (2).
A notice may be accepted if the year of publication is presented in any of the following forms:
• Arabic numerals (e.g., 1981).
• Abbreviations of Arabic numerals (e.g., ’81).
• Roman numerals (e.g., MCMLXXXI).
• Numeric words (e.g., Nineteen Hundred Eighty-One).
• The year of first publication followed by multiple year dates (e.g., 1981, 1982, 1983).