2139.2 When Recordation May Be Required
With regard to renewal registration, the U.S Copyright Office may require that a document be recorded in the following circumstances:
• A renewal claim is based on an author who is not identified in the original registration record or, if the work was not registered for the original term, in the deposit copy.
• A supplementary registration seeks to correct a statutory renewal claimant or a vested owner, and/or an assignee or successor identified in a renewal registration record.
• A supplementary registration seeks to correct the statutory basis for a claim to the renewal copyright.
• A renewal claim or a supplementary registration related to a renewal registration record is based on a court order.
• When, at the discretion of the Office, a public record is needed to support a renewal registration record or a supplementary registration related to a renewal registration record.
In such cases, a reference will be added to the certificate of renewal registration and to the renewal registration record, although the recorded document will not be cross- referenced with the renewal or supplementary registration record.