201 What This Chapter Covers
This Chapter provides a general overview of the copyright registration system and the practices and procedures for submitting an application to register a work created or first published on or after January 1, 1978. For a chart that illustrates the entire registration process at a glance, see Section 213.
For a detailed discussion of the U.S. Copyright Office’s registration practices, see the following chapters:
• For the practices and procedures for examining copyright claims, see Chapter 600.
• For the practices and procedures for registering certain groups of works, see Chapter 1100.
• For a general discussion of filing fees and applications, including the Single Application, which may be used to register one work by one author, see Chapter 1400.
• For the practices and procedures for correcting or amplifying the information in an existing copyright registration and for asserting an adverse claim to copyright, see Chapter 1800.
• For the practices and procedures for the renewal of copyright claims, see Chapter 2100.
For a detailed discussion of the Office’s practices and procedures for specific types of works, see the following chapters:
• For literary works, see Chapter 700.
• For works of the performing arts, see Chapter 800.
• For visual art works, see Chapter 900.
• For websites and website content, see Chapter 1000.
• For mask works, see Chapter 1200.
• For vessel designs, see Chapter 1300.
• For foreign works, see Chapter 2000.