2001 What This Chapter Covers
This Chapter explains when authors of foreign works may apply to register their works with the U.S. Copyright Office. This Chapter applies to unpublished works regardless of when they were created, and to published works that were first published on or after January 1, 1978.
This Chapter also discusses Form GATT, which may be used to register a restored work that is eligible for copyright protection under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act. Restored works comprise a small subset of foreign works, and applicants must use Form GATT to register these types of works with the Office.
• For a general overview of the registration process, see Chapter 200.
• For a discussion of copyrightable subject matter, see Chapter 300.
• For guidance in determining who may file the application and who may be named as the copyright claimant, see Chapter 400.
• For guidance in identifying the work that will be submitted for registration, see Chapter 500.
• For instructions on completing the online application or a paper application (other than an application submitted on Form GATT), see Chapter 600.
• For guidance on the filing fee, see Chapter 1400.
• For guidance on submitting the deposit copy(ies), see Chapter 1500.
• For guidance on publication, see Chapter 1900.