1802.8 (B) (3) Space C: Clarifying Information in the Basic Registration, Providing Missing Information, or Reflecting Changes or Events That Have Occurred Since the Basic Registration Was Made
As mentioned above, a supplementary registration may be used to clarify the information that appears in the basic registration, to provide missing information that should have been included in the registration, or to reflect changes that have occurred since the registration was made (other than a change in the ownership of the copyright). In such cases, the applicant should provide the following information in space C of Form CA:
• In the space marked Line Heading or Description, the applicant should provide the heading for the relevant section of the basic registration that should be amplified. If the spaces on the certificate of registration are numbered one to nine, the applicant should also provide the relevant number in the space marked “Line Number.” (If there are no numbers on the certificate of registration, the Line Number space may be left blank.)
• In the space marked “Amplified Information and Explanation of Information” the applicant should provide a clear and succinct statement of the information that should be added to the registration record.
In addition, the applicant may provide a brief explanation for the amplification.
• Danny Nelson registered his song in 1972. After he passed away in 2012, his children, Denise and Donald, filed a renewal registration as statutory claimants. In 2014, Denise married and changed her name. Denise may add her new name to the registration record by providing the following information in space C of Form CA:
‚àí Line Number: n/a.
‚àí Line Heading or Description: Renewal Term Ownership Information, Name of Statutory Claimant.
‚àí Amplified Information and Explanation of Information: Renewal Term Ownership Information, Name of Statutory Claimant: Due to marriage, the name of the statutory claimant entitled to claim the renewal term as daughter of the author has changed from Denise Nelson to Denise McArthur.
• In 1985, Kerry Blaire published a play in Israel without a copyright notice. When her play was restored to copyright protection, she registered the work using Form GATT. A year later, Kerry moved to a new address. She may add her new address to the registration record by providing the following information in space B of Form CA:
‚àí Line Number: 4.
‚àí Line Heading or Description: Owner of U.S. Copyright.
‚àí Amplified Information and Explanation of Information: Owner of
U.S. Copyright: The Owner of U.S. Copyright’s new address is
6401 Deerfield Lane, Miami, FL 32815.
• In December 2014, WWX Corporation registered a group of revisions to its published database, but failed to mention that some of the content was previously published in August of that year. WWX may add a disclaimer to the registration record by providing the following information in space C of Form CA:
‚àí Line Number: n/a.
‚àí Line Heading or Description: Limitation of Copyright Claim.
‚àí Amplified Information and Explanation of Information: Limitation of copyright claim: Some contributions previously published in August 2014.