1109.2 Eligibility Requirements
A group of newsletter issues may be registered with the U.S. Copyright Office, provided that the following conditions have been met:
• Each issue in the group must be a newsletter as defined in Section 1109.1.
• The group must contain at least two issues.
• Each issue must be an all-new collective work or an all-new issue that has not been published before. This requirement is discussed below in Section 1109.2 (A).
• Each issue must be fixed and distributed as a discrete, self-contained work, as described in Section 1109.2 (B).
• The author(s) and the copyright claimant(s) for all of the issues must be the same person or organization.
• Each issue must be published under the same continuing title.
• Each issue must be published in the same calendar month and bear issue dates within that month, and the applicant must identify the earliest and most recent date that the issues were published during that month.
See 37 C.F.R. § 202.4 (F) (1) (I)-(v).
Newsletters that do not satisfy these requirements cannot be registered using this group registration option.
If the applicant is unable to register a particular issue using the group registration option for newsletters, the applicant may submit a separate application for that issue using the online application for a “Single Issue Serial” or a paper application submitted on Form SE. For information concerning the procedures for registering a single issue of a serial publication, see Chapter 700, Section 712.2.